If you are a U.S. citizen but are living abroad… it can be a bit confusing of what you should claim on your taxes. We are here to help. 


If you are living and working outside of the United States but are a U.S. resident, you are taxed on your international income. But if your tac home is in a foreign country and you meet 1. a residence test or 2. the physical presence test, you can choose to exclude a limited amount of your foreign earned income. Namely, $102,100 for 2017. Both of the tests require minimum time requirements. 

Tips to Break It Down…

ONE: Report International Income

If you are a U.S. citizen, by law you must report your worldwide income. This would even include income from foreign trusts and foreign bank accounts.

TWO: File All Required Forms 

The #GoldenGirls will make sure that your required forms are filed – which may include Schedule B “Interest and Ordinary Dividends” and/or Form 8938 “Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets”. If you have any questions about these, just ask us.

THREE: Look Over the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion 

If you are working and living abroad, be sure to look into the Foreign Income Exclusion, as you may be able to claim it. 

FOUR: Don’t Overlook Credits and Deductions 

You might be able to take a tax credit or deduction for income taxes you paid to a foreign country, which would reduce your taxes if both countries tax the same income. 

FIVE: Filing Extensions Are Available

If you cannot file your tax return by April 17th and live outside of the U.S., you may qualify for an automatic two-month extension of time to file. You would need to attach a statement to your return explaining why you qualify for this extension.